Wednesday, November 3, 2010

DIAL THE TOLL FREE NUMBER

I strutted around saree clad and with a bandana on my head as if I was the 21st century trend setter, if you please!!! I managed to do all that I usually used to do for Durga Pujo and was thrilled about it.

Durga Pujo is a five day festival beginning on sasthi (6th day) to dashami (10th day) of the Navratras. The most auspicious time is the “Sondhi Pujo” which is the union between asthami (8th day) and navami (9th day). The duration of this puja is short and extremely special. The story goes that this is the time that the Goddess killed Ashur, the devil who was tormenting the Gods. One also believes that this is the auspicious time that Ma Durga blessed Ram before he went to fight the battle at Lanka. It is a powerful moment of victory; in fact it is an invocation of shakti (power).

During this puja, the Goddess is worshipped with 108 lotuses and 108 little lamps. The pujari chants a very special vedic mantra as he performs the ritual. The chant, the lamps, the lotuses, and the solemnity of the devotees make the very air emanate incredible energy and the moment is surreal and sublime.

I looked up at the Goddess, the Mother, at this sublime moment with my hands folded in respect. Her face (I felt) was radiant and alive. I stared at Her without a single prayer in my heart!!! I dialed the toll free number and connected with Her. It struck me that at this moment last year, I had prayed that She takes care of my family and loved ones, blesses them and makes them happy. Little did I know what was to happen to me…such things only happened to others, never ever to me!!!

At that moment of sondhi puja, as I stood before Mother, I did not have anything to ask for. She had given me life to enjoy another Durga Puja festival even without asking for it! She protects me from all harm, what is the puny- me going to ask for? I felt small, foolish and vulnerable. I always used to have a list of things that I needed to pray for. For the first time I was acutely conscious of the fact that I was so disastrously ignorant that I did not even know what I “needed” to pray for.

It is a direct hot line connection from point A to point B between Almighty and me and no matter how much I tried or my loved ones tried, there is no way that point C can get linked. The realization is overwhelming. As I dialed the toll free number and connected with the Supreme Power, there was little else I could do but surrender in utter awe. Surprisingly, as I surrendered, I felt the warmth of security and love. It reassured me.

2 comments:

  1. May Maa Durga will bless you and your family with health and happiness. You have "felt the warmth of her security and love". She will always keep you safe and warm. I pray for you my friend. Take care because we all love you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didi I am sure that the hot line connection is very powerful.You are very precious,and that is the reason you felt the warmth of security and love.Durga ma is surely blessing you,do not worry.

    ReplyDelete