Thursday, November 25, 2010

RIP VAN WINKLE!! :-))

As a child I was greatly disturbed by the story of Rip Van Winkle that I read in the Radiant Reader Book II. The idea that one can fall asleep for a hundred years and wake up to find that every thing around him has changed did not appeal to me at all and made me most uncomfortable. Yet today I am humored to realize that I have under gone a Rip Van Winkle –like experience of sorts!

Just a week back, Jai, my gardener, told me with a lot of pride that he had planted some marigolds in the pots. I stared at him for two seconds and asked him, “Marigolds? Why now? They are going to wither!” He almost asked me if I was out my mind and insisted that they would bloom very soon. I kept quiet.

I was intently buying vegetables for the home one morning and silently marveled at the fresh green enticing vegetables, wondering how they were available at this time of the year…I was rather pleased. Little did I realize that they were of course winter veggies!

The other day I attended a ladies soirĂ©e after a gap of six months. I was naturally happy to be there and would like to believe that every body was glad to see me. But as I walked in, I noticed that almost everybody was wearing silks. I wondered why everybody was in winter wear!! So was I, mind you, and I even carried a shawl…but I was all confused!

I kept wondering why I was all confused about the season. Of course I knew that the deadly Delhi winter was settling in, but it all seemed to be a mumbo-jumbo in my mind. I was rather disturbed and the confused worm wriggled incessantly in my brain. Then, finally I figured it out. It was during the waning winter that I had been detected with cancer. I had fought it all through summer when I was so completely knocked out. The season had just not registered in my mind. I had only been struggling to live through every isolated day.

I now realize that I have a lost a season! It has just evaporated! From last winter, I sub consciously move to summer, though my conscious mind knows that the cold winter is galloping in. Each morning when I shiver as I remove my blanket, I need to remind myself that summer is over. Today it is a cold winter morning, and every thing is as it should be.

Of course I am not Rip Van Winkle, but it is amazing how the mind can make you one! :-))

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure you'll be completely well very soon. May God Bless you with a long life filled with love and happiness. We all love you a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so observant, its is true that in times of stress the seasons rush by as we have no time to stand and stare.
    Reminds me of a poem read in my childhood. can't remember the poet (John Keats?) maybe you the teacher can prod my memory
    "what is life if full of care,
    we have no time to stand and stare"
    Keep on fighting and keep on blogging my girl, you should have these treasures published one day, when you are hale and hearty and can look back on this time of trial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didi, very true summer has gone by, but don't you worry !This time it will be full of sunshine,warmth and lot of hope.You are a real fighter (not with me) dear sister.Wait for the lovely summer...it is just 3 months away!Keep smiling!

    ReplyDelete