Saturday, July 17, 2010

BALD IS BOLD!

I lost 75% of my hair in the shower that day. That was the 11th day after the first round of chemo. Considering all the compliments that I received, I thought I quite liked my short hair style. Unfortunately it was not to last. My hair just dropped off… swish….as if I had been sporting a wig!

Well, I decided that I would look pretty stunning if I went bald. I also decided that I needed to be courageous and shave off my hair. My wonderful doctors, Dr Sid Sahni and Dr. Ranga Rao endorsed my decision.

I walked into VLCC and confided in Meena, my dear friend. She whisked me off to a private room, called Farukh, my favorite hair stylist, and told him what needed to be done. Farukh just stared at the few remaining strands for a split second as I took off my fashionable hat. He gave me a big smile, but his eyes almost leaked. He finished his job in minutes.

My mum wept on seeing me when I returned home. But I inspected my skull like a critic inspecting a precious piece of sculpture, tried various innovative ways of sporting the bandanas, and decided that being bald was not quite so bad.

5 comments:

  1. I know that you still look the best!All that you do, dear sis,it is the best and nothing but the best.I have always admired you for your courage and I know you can swim through it!I can well imagine how creative and innovative u can be.But not to worry you are still the most admired person I grew up with!One has to really see you to know that "bald is bold" and beautiful..

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rock Sarbari. You look even more beautiful than Sinead O'Connor. Besides, going bald is also quite spiritual. And bless Farukh for his sensitivity. He cut my hair once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nandini! Thanks! Farukh is really an angel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sharbari,

    You were always what I thought was the most perfect beauty one could lay eyes upon, and now you have me believe that you have gone the 'bald and the beautiful' way! You look ever so stunning, I'm sure.
    Had no idea of all that you were going through until read about your blog on your facebook status message and have thereafter read all your artiles. This one hour that I have spent with you on your blog has not only made me admire you for your unrelenting strength, complete with your bright spark of humour that you have still kept in tact, but also made me poignantly aware of how unpedictable life is and how much we do take it for granted.
    Heartfelt wishes and lots of love-
    Shweta Soni

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Shweta! I took Life for granted...but the hurdle made me realise the value of small pleasures and blessings!! BTW, don't know about the beauty part, but my shiny egg reflects light..almost like a halo!!:))

    ReplyDelete